Wednesday, September 18, 2013

my mom


My mom had breast cancer back in the early 1970's. It was in all of her lymph nodes and she was told it had probably spread. I was 11 years old at the time. She was determined to see me graduate from high school. (I was the youngest of 4. The others were 17, 18 and 22 years old). She did. And not just that, she lived to enjoy all of her grandchildren! 24 years later, in 1997, she was told the breast cancer had metastasized to her bones and she died one year later. Sad, yes. But so very hopeful! Having hope can change the game!

The picture is an "itty bitty book" page that I made featuring my mom's picture and one of my favorite quotes from Christopher Reeves. He was such an inspiration, and an incredible role model for having hope!

My mom is part one of why the breast cancer cause is so near and dear to my heart. Part two tomorrow.

3 comments:

Scrap for Joy said...

I didn't know that we had this in common. My Mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1972 and had a radical mastectomy. In 1975, her cancer had metastasized to her bones and then her liver and brain. She died in 1977 at the age of 58. I was 28. Too soon. I have a mammogram every year without fail.
I'm sorry that we share this common bond.
xoxo

Linda said...

Joyce,
I am so sorry to hear that. Very much like my mom's story. I really feel blessed that I did not lose her when I was 11- my life would have been very different. I was lucky enough to have her until I was 35. I miss her everyday, and I know you do too. You're right, not a great bond to share. No wonder we can feel such a kindredness with some of our online friends that we've never met! Thanks for sharing, Joyce.

marie said...

Both my mother and father had sisters who died from breast cancer. But, praise God, not my mother. I'm so sorry that you and Joyce share this common bond...but you're right. It does contribute to your sweet, kindred spirits!

PS. I get regular mammograms too!